Sunday, July 9, 2017

[Benton Review] Benton Papaya-D Sun Cream SPF38 / PA+++ 50g

Price: ~$20
Verdict: 8/10
Repurchase:  Probably Not

Benton Product & History
It's no secret that I love Benton products. It's one of the brands with products that seem to work for me consistently and I'm slowly building a routine that's made with more and more Benton products. I've reviewed another product of theirs, the Benton Cacao Moist & Mild Cream here. I have oily/combo skin that's proving to be quite sensitive and I've yet to come across a Benton product that my skin dislikes.

Benton is inspired by and named after the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", in which Benjamin Button grows younger with time. It's one of my favorite movies which I will probably never want to watch again because it's not one of those feel-good movies. It's a movie about a man who ages backwards, growing younger and younger, which is where Benton comes in, aiming to restore the skin back to it's healthy condition with healthy recipes.
Benton presents freshly made products by sticking to small batch productions, which is pretty great.

I was lucky to be chosen as one of their reviewers for their first ever sunscreen product, the Benton Papaya-D Suncream SPF38/PA+++ 50g, available on benton's official site for about $20. The main ingredient of papaya had me curious, since it's one of my favorite fruits and the trees grow readily around my house. ^^ I'm guilty of not wearing sunscreen consistently, so I'm extra grateful to be able to try this out since it kind of obligates me to use sunscreen daily.


Packaging & Directions


Like the Benton Cacao Cream that was released earlier, this cream also came in tube packaging, which I really enjoy, since it keeps the contents inside sanitary and clean. I do miss their larger tubes that are cheaper per ml though. I can't quite get over the fact that they're charging almost $20 for 50ml of sunscreen, which is pretty high-tier, especially considering how much sunscreen is needed daily for best protection. Anyways, the tube comes with a foil seal. In addition, Benton utilizes 

Anyways, directions say to apply a suitable amount evenly in the last skincare step. It needs to be applied evenly to the face and other parts of the body before sun exposure. Be sure to apply sunscreen on your neck too. I always forget to apply sunscreen on my neck and now my face and neck are two different shades. =.= Reapplication is needed if you're sweating (since I don't think this is waterproof) and in case of strong sunlight exposure. 

Ingredients 

This is a combination sunscreen, both chemical and mineral agents present in order to protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays. Ethylhexy Methoxycinnamate and Isoamyl p-MEthoxycinnamate are the chemical sunscreen agents in the ingredients while the mineral sunscreen component is the Titanium Dioxide. Titanium Dioxide, BisEthylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine and Ethylhexy methoxycinnamate are all capable of blocking both UVA and UVB rays.

The main ingredient here is of course, Papaya -  Carica Papata Fruit Water, Carica Papaya Seed Oil, Carica Papaya Fruit Extract and Papain. These extracts are meant to help keep skin moist and vibrant.  The Papain is a protease obtained from the papaya that is effective in pore care, controlling sebum and dead skin cells.

In addition, the suncream contains niacinamide and adenosine for brightening and smoothing complexion. There are plenty of moisturizers, emulsifiers, and emollients in the long list of ingredients. I like this functions both as a sunscreen and as something that's beneficial for the skin, though I don't particularly like how many things they've added to it. For example, they've seem to have added Algin, which ranks 4 as both an acne stimulant and irritant. It's a binding agent and a fragrance. Several oils are also added, with the citrus oils seem to be contributing most to the fragrance.

Cosdna can be found here: Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Water(55%), Titanium Dioxide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isoamyl p-Methoxycinnamate, Glycerin, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Pentylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Glyceryl Stearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil,  Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Aluminum Hydroxide, Panthenol, Carica Papaya Seed Oil(5000ppm), Glyceryl Caprylate, Stearic Acid, Water, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Xanthan Gum, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract(750ppm), Tocopherol,Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate,Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Xylitylglucoside, Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, Papain(100ppm), Propanediol,Adenosine, Sodium Gluconate, Disodium Adenosine Triphosphate, Algin, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Bud Extract, Glucose,Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Oil

Texture and Fragrance

The texture is a little creamy and quite thick, but spreads fairly easily. The initial white cast actually helps a little in showing me which part of my face I missed and absorbs fast enough that it's not much of a problem. It smells like sour plums but the scent fades pretty quickly so it's not much of a problem.
This is the effect it has on my hand. As you can see, it makes my skin fairly shiny and even thought there's no obvious white cast, there's a definite difference pre- and post- sunscreen. It never quite sinks in. The cream doesn't dry matte and is a little tacky. I suppose it's the lack of alcohol in the product. In addition, a full day of use seems to make my skin oilier than usual. 

Performance
The sunscreen, when applied on my face, leaves my skin kind of reflective. I can't quite capture the effect with my shitty front facing camera. At first I thought I was overreacting, but my mom commented, while on video call, why my skin was so 'white' and if I was wearing too much makeup. T.T So yeah, definitely not a good look on me.

After a few hours of wearing this, it leaves my skin oily and super reflective. That happens when I use creams that's too heavy for my skin. I have oily/combo skin, so maybe this skin, with all the moisturizers, emollients, and oils in the ingredients were just too much for my skin to handle. Thankfully, other than feeling mildly uncomfortable at the end of the day, the cream doesn't do anything bad.

It does, however, seem to be helping me fade acne scars on my forehead. I just need to remember what not to use. 

So, do I love this?

Well, short answer is, no. It's one of those creams that's just a little too heavy for me when applied for too long a time. I think it might work better for those with dry skin and in weather that's drier than here in Malaysia! The hot and humid weather here means any heavier creams will freak out my oily/combo skin. ><

Price: ~$20
Verdict: 8/10
Repurchase:  Probably Not

I also do quick, short reviews on my instagram so if you're up for it, do follow me here too! :D https://www.instagram.com/peachy_amy/
And Like my Facebook page? :D https://www.facebook.com/MalaysianBeautyHaul/

No comments:

Post a Comment